Sunday, January 2, 2011

If it has wheels, you can ride in it

Not even a great photo, but just one of thousands of examples
There are no transit laws in Ecuador - or there are laws, but are NEVER enforced. Every single truck that I saw in the costal region (and often times in Quito) had a truckbed full of people! Sometimes they had plastic chairs in the back, and like a moving tailgate the people were just hanging out in the back while the truck was going 40mph.  I also saw a multitude of little motorbikes with the guy driving wearing a helmet, and his wife/girlfriend sitting behind without a helmet, and in between them one or more children under the age of 6 also without helmets.  Extremely unsafe, it kept scaring me everytime I saw it! Basically what I concluded in Ecuador is that if it has wheels, you can ride in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment