Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sobrevivendo turns into disfrutando!

Today is Saturday...I picked up an extra shift and worked this afternoon - it turned out to be a good decision! When I first got there I was slightly flustered, and in a weird mood - a "what the heck am I doing here??" kind of mood. I was feeling that way because at times I get frustrated with speaking. Luckily, that mood quickly passed. I worked with three coworkers who will probably end up being my favorite coworkers (at least as far as I can tell for now). I did a good job with almost everything I did during my shift (minus missing one IV), and feel like my understanding when I'm listening to people is increasing so much - for example, being able to converse on the phone.

That was something rare for me last week...I answered the phone and was instantly tonguetied and couldn't understand anything the person on the other line was saying. It's one thing speaking a different language when the person is standing in front of you and you can watch their mouths and body language and all that...but when it is ONLY the words, it's so different! And today, I proudly answered the phone several times...small victories!!

I also successfully opened several ampules without injuring myself! One of the younger doctors, Hector, showed me some tricks of the trade...warming up the ampule and flicking the top a couple times - really makes it easier.  From what it sounds like, I should be able to request only working nights, so I think I might do that after next week (depending on how my first night shift goes).


These are a couple of photos I stole from someone's facebook page from the brigade.  I will be certain to take pictures of the ER sometime next week (probably when I work night shift). Get excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment