Friday, November 19, 2010

Nurse unwillingly becomes patient

I fell by a bit of bad luck this week, and consumed an undercooked piece of chicken...while at work, of all places!! It wasn't even from a vendor off the streets. In any case, I diagnosed myself with Salmonella induced gastroenteritis, and read that the course of infection typically lasts 4-8 days. I had severe abdominal pain for three days, which I likened to "cuchillos en mis intestinos" and I was being stubborn, just telling myself that it would pass, it would pass.  No need for medical attention. Well I wasn't eating or drinking anything, was dehydrated, weak...etc. Course of infection wasn't just "passing by" like I had hoped, and on day 4, Thursday, I was miserable. I cried for the first time in Quito. I just wanted Saltines and Ginger Ale! And some toilet paper, that was the real kicker.  I went to my bathroom in the afternoon and there was no TP, so I asked Judith, the cleaning lady, because sometimes she forgets,  and she just smiled and said in spanish "sorry, there isn't any...I will ask tomorrow!" That was a large joke, because at that point I knew I had several trips to the bathroom in my future - I had those gut feelings...So I went, in misery, and bought myself some tp.

Today, I finally gave in. I went to the hospital, I had lab exams of both blood...and stool...and it was determined I had a really bad infection. I had IV antibiotics, a liter of fluid, and some pain medicines...and finally, I am starting to feel better! I still haven't eaten a full meal since Sunday, but I am definitely starting to be able to eat some things, and I have a lot more energy!  I think I've learned my lesson, so IF there is a next time (hopefully not...as I will be avoiding chicken for some time now), I will go to the doctor at first stomach pain!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Em, sorry.
    But you acted like every nurse I ever knew. Self diagnosis, not asking for help, or God forbid, medical attention.

    I am so glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete