Sunday, November 28, 2010

Censo 2010 y Thanksgiving!

Today is eerily quiet and tranquil in Quito...no honking on the streets, no loud trucks/buses going by. This is because it is Census day here in Quito, and they have put an "immobility law" in place from 7am to 5pm. Everyone is to remain in their houses and wait for groups of high school students to come around and bring the census forms. There is no transportation available.  The only people in the streets besides the high school students are policemen and military personnel!! There are no masses at churches this morning however they will have mass later tonight, despues del censo.

Yesterday I hosted my very first Thanksgiving dinner!! It was my first time cooking most of the items on the menu, which consisted of cheeseburgers, mashed potatoes, stuffing and apple pie for dessert! Everything turned out well, except I knowingly used the wrong kind of butter in my apple pie because I was in a crunch for time and didn't want to return to the mall to find two sticks of unsalted butter! It didn't turn out horrible, just was a little off on the taste...next time I will use the correct kind of butter, and definitely add cinnamon and spices to the recipe. I had 11 people attend my first Thanksgiving, pictures below!!

I started grilling the first hamburger, and was having some difficulty, so I told Marco that in America, grilling is a man's job.  He took over after that : ) and grilled the rest of the hamburgers perfectly!

First attempt at stuffing! It was a little crispy, since it wasn't baked inside of a turkey. I also forgot to add some seasoning, so it was a little bland, but overall everyone like it!

Happy Thanksgiving! The table is set. The guests included Marisa, Elena, Lupita and her boyfriend Edwin, Marco and his son Felix, Darío, José, Pablo and his wife (can't remember her name this moment!)

This is the oven I get to use at the centro...There is no thermometer. You turn it on with a match, turning the knob at the bottom until the gas ignites. I don't like turning on the oven, so I make Marco or José do it.

My homemade apple pie...with the wrong type of butter. 

After dinner, we all drank hot canelazo and danced in the kitchen to cumbia music

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I feel like I was there. That is pretty much how things are done in Costa Rica. You look so very happy there!

    Love you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, pls remember to translate. How are we to learn SPanish otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey what if I make a plan not to cut my hair until you come back....BIEBER HAIR YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part is the Happy Thanksgiving sign!

    ReplyDelete