Monday, October 31, 2011

Nike We Run Quito 2011


Carissa, Emma and I, in front of Pizza Hut, after finishing the 10k race in Quito
 On Saturday, October 29th, I had the privilege to run a 10k (6+mile race), with my friends Emma and Carissa.  This picture was taken by Paco, our cheerleader and companion for the race.   He did not run the race, but he did meet us afterwards to see us finish down the homestretch and to join us for a celebration meal at Pizza Hut! Emma and I finished in one hour and thirteen minutes, and I was just happy to finish without ever walking at all! Carissa finished in a fast 58 minutes. 

It was so fun to see the crowd of over 7,000 runners, snaking through Quito, running a race!  It felt like such a great, happy environment..yes we were in Quito, but I was doing something that reminded me so much of being home! I loved the nostalgia of races at home, and realizing that I was doing the same thing but very far from home.  It just made me comforted, knowing that these races are becoming a global phenomenon and are such a uniting factor amongst strangers.

A big thanks to Paco for helping us navigate and traverse the lengths of the city in the PacoMovil, it helped immensely in our success of getting to the race and getting home safely afterwards! Thank you Paquito mi osito!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment