Tuesday, November 29, 2011

First Precious Moment

Today I had a life-changing moment while at my first appointment at the obstetrician's office.  Yes, you read correctly, I had an appointment with the obstetrician.  I am eleven weeks pregnant, with an "unplanned" child, and thus I have moved home to transition into a life of working as a nurse and becoming a single mother.  I have accepted a job to work in Labor and Delivery at St. Vincent Women's Hospital, which is my dream ideal job at this point in my life.  I will be in a warm, supportive environment, and learn so much in my first nursing job in the USA.  It's not something I, or anybody, expected at this point in my life, but this is the situation, and it cannot be changed.  I am so blessed, lucky, and fortunate to have a family and group of friends who are extremely supportive of me, and who will stand by my side through all of the rapid changes that are to come.  At this time next year, I will have a 5 month old to take care of! But back to the life-changing moment...

Today, at my first doctor's appointment, I was able to listen to the heartbeat of the baby.  That was the precious moment that stole my heart and filled me with such a joy unlike anything I have ever felt before.  To hear the heartbeat, beating so rapidly, so cutely, and know that there is a tiny little two-inch baby thriving inside of my tummy, was an amazing moment not to be forgotten. It affirmed and reaffirmed a million times over my belief that life is an absolute miracle, a gift, a gift which only God can provide. It honestly is an amazing thing.  I can now understand how people ooh and aah over those fuzzy ultrasound pictures that they get of their little babies!  I still will have to wait nearly two more months in order to get my first ultrasound picture, and to find out the gender of the baby. 

I will be updating this continually, documenting the ups and downs, surprises of both pregnancy and parenthood, as well as how to continue my love of Jesus Christ while struggling with the stigma of being a single mother.  I am a firm believer that I do not have to succumb to being a product of my past, but that today and each day forward can be a way of moving forward and growing closer to Christ, to becoming a brighter and brighter light despite a dim or dark past.   Life isn't just perfect, it takes the struggles and the failures to show us the strength of our own character, and to get back up and try again.  To admit our flaws, but not to be defeated by them.  There is nothing that can separate ourselves from God's love, not anything but our own pride, or the Devil whispering to us that God surely can't love us after we have sinned, or that we aren't good enough to be loved.  All that is sillyness, and it is a shame to waste the amazing, infinite love and mercy that Jesus wishes to share with all of us, solely if we do not believe that we are worth it.

All of that and more, coming soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment